If there have been ever a creamy potato dish price making, it’s this one. It’s much like scalloped potatoes, however higher, in my view. It comes collectively merely and fantastically, with no roux required.
This potatoes au gratin recipe is definitely often called gratin dauphinois in France. Gratin dauphinois hails from the Dauphiné area in southeastern France, which is nestled subsequent to Italy.
Gratin dauphinois options thinly sliced rounds of potatoes cooked in cream, typically with cheese however usually with out. This potato gratin features a beneficiant quantity of Gruyère cheese, and I wouldn’t need it some other manner! The recipe is evenly seasoned with garlic, pepper and nutmeg, and the top result’s simply… magic.
In the event you would love a second of pleased silence at your bustling vacation meal, serve this recipe. I’ve actually watched folks go quiet upon their first chew. That’s once I know a recipe is good!
Potatoes au Gratin Elements
This recipe makes use of a brief listing of elements and the flavour is actually wonderful. You’ll discover the complete recipe on the backside of the put up, with a print-friendly possibility.
Starchy russet potatoes are perfect for potatoes au gratin. Whereas I’m typically a giant fan of potato skins, you’ll have to peel the potato skins earlier than slicing the potatoes for the best melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Heavy cream is the best way to go together with this recipe. I’ve tried half and half and it really works decently properly, however clumps considerably. Entire milk clumps and doesn’t yield a creamy gratin, so I strongly advise in opposition to it.
Contemporary garlic, all the time! Two cloves subtly infuse this dish with irresistible fragrant taste.
Black pepper, nutmeg & salt
Freshly floor black pepper and only a pinch of nutmeg are all you want right here. Properly, and salt—potatoes love salt.
Gruyère cheese or Emmental
Gruyère cheese is extra anticipated in gratin dauphinois, however I like Emmental equally properly. Whereas Emmental is much like Swiss cheese, Swiss cheese didn’t end up properly in our checks, because it hardened an excessive amount of.
Contemporary chives are non-obligatory, however provide a stunning burst of contemporary inexperienced shade on high of this creamy, golden brown dish.
Tips on how to Make Potatoes au Gratin
This recipe is easy and you’ll watch it come collectively within the brief video beneath. Right here’s a rundown with some added notes:
1) Peel and slice the potatoes.
Ideally, you’re slicing the potatoes as thinly as presumably, about 1/8-inch thick. That is tough even with the sharpest of chef’s knives.
I’m all the time hesitant to advocate a mandoline slicer as a result of they’re harmful, however the mandoline undeniably yields the thinnest and most uniform outcomes. When utilizing a mandoline, please keep targeted on the duty at hand, know the place your fingers are always, and don’t be tempted to slice any nearer to the top of the potato than you’re feeling absolutely assured doing.
2) Whisk collectively the cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Simple sufficient! The garlic and spices will settle, so that you’ll have to whisk the combination every time simply earlier than utilizing.
3) Begin layering the potatoes, then layer with cream and cheese.
Organize about one-third of the potatoes within the backside of a 9-inch sq. pan in an overlapping fish-scale sample. (That is my beloved 9-inch pan, when you’re out there.) Whisk the cream combination, pour in a portion of it, and sprinkle some cheese on high.
4) Repeat, repeat. Prime with all remaining cheese.
Potatoes, whisked cream, and extra cheese, in that order.
5) Bake, and canopy it towards the top of baking.
After about 40 minutes within the oven, the highest needs to be turning properly golden. We’re going to cowl it with parchment or foil to stop the highest from changing into too browned by the point the potatoes are cooked by. The potatoes are achieved as soon as you’ll be able to press a fork throughout the middle of the dish with ease (if doubtful, go a bit longer).
6) Briefly cool, then serve.
This dish wants no less than 20 minutes to chill earlier than serving. Straight out of the oven, it’s far too scorching to serve, and the layers want an opportunity to chill considerably with a purpose to preserve their form. Sprinkle with chopped chives earlier than serving, if desired.
Watch Tips on how to Make Potatoes au Gratin
Extra Potato Recipes to Make
In the event you love potatoes (and who doesn’t?), you can’t miss these potato recipes on Cookie and Kate:
Please let me understand how your gratin seems within the feedback! I like listening to from you.
Potatoes au Gratin (Gratin Dauphinois)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 45 minutes
- Complete Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Class: Facet Dish
- Methodology: Baked
- Delicacies: French
- Food regimen: Vegetarian
This potatoes au gratin recipe is wealthy, golden brown and completely irresistible! Often called gratin dauphinois in France, this potato gratin is made with layers of potato, cream and cheese. It’s worthy of your vacation desk! Recipe yields 12 facet servings.
- 2 kilos russet potatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon effective salt
- 10 twists of freshly floor black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese or Emmental
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped contemporary chives, non-obligatory
- Preheat the oven to 425 levels Fahrenheit. Peel the potatoes and slice them as thinly as attainable, ideally ⅛-inch thick.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk collectively the cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Organize about one-third of the potatoes within the backside of a 9-inch sq. pan in an overlapping fish-scale sample. Whisk the cream combination once more, then pour about one-third of the cream combination over the potatoes. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cheese.
- Repeat this two extra instances, topping with the entire remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then place a sheet of parchment paper or foil excessive to stop it from turning too brown. Bake for five to 10 extra minutes, checking each 5, till you’ll be able to press a fork throughout the potatoes with ease.
- Let the dish cool for no less than 20 minutes (it’s loopy scorching). Garnish with the non-obligatory chives, if desired, and serve heat.
Put together upfront: This dish could be assembled as much as 24 hours upfront. Chill it within the fridge, lined. It’ll probably want extra time within the oven because it’s beginning off chilly, and it’s tough to supply actual timing on this state of affairs. Keep watch over the dish beginning at 40 minutes and canopy it as soon as it’s turning properly golden on high.
▸ Vitamin Info
Did you make this recipe?